What is Public Health?
Built upon The Chicago School’s history of practitioner-focused learning, the Master of Public Health (MPH) program is designed for current or future community-based public health and healthcare practitioners passionate about making a dramatic impact in the health and wellness of others, particularly the marginalized and underserved.
The U.S. healthcare landscape is facing pivotal challenges. After seven years of the implementation of The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, 国产偷拍视频current Presidential and Congressional leadership are dramatically rethinking both the access and provision of healthcare. The conflicts and challenges are obvious. An essential thread throughout our curriculum is the ability to work mindfully with diverse stakeholders, identifying areas of common ground while developing a global mindset to respond to challenges of a highly-interconnected world. The entire focus of the program is career-facing, preparing graduates to thrive in a dramatically changing public and private health and healthcare marketplace.
Our rigorous curriculum integrates theory, scientific research, professional practice and innovation – all framed by career-focused community engagement, offering the knowledge and skills drawn from a variety of disciplines.
A History of Public Health at The Chicago School
Based on our long-standing experience of training outstanding health practitioners, our MPH program is designed to prepare engaged public health and healthcare professionals with both the head and heart to respond to the needs of a changing healthcare environment. Our commitment is to graduate community health change agents.
国产偷拍视频From our core courses and career-focused concentrations, to our domestic and international fieldwork culminating in an applied research project, our MPH program is a promise to graduate community-based change agents with the skills and experience required to succeed in the dynamic multicultural, stakeholder-diverse health marketplace.
Which Master of Public Health Concentrations does The Chicago School offer?
Students select one of three concentrations geared toward in-demand public health and health-related employment:
- Mental & Behavioral Aspects of Public Health: Students gain an understanding of the psychological aspects of health and wellness and develop effective community public health interventions to support mental health.
- Public Policy Development & Advocacy: Students develop skills essential to community engagement, collective policy development and advocacy at the local, state, and national levels.
Each concentration includes three courses, followed by a 15-week related field experience, all of which culminates in the development of a practical applied research project based on each student’s area of interest. For student currently working in a healthcare setting, often their worksite can also serve as their field experience.
Which campuses offer the Master of Public Health program?
国产偷拍视频Designed for the working adult, our MPH program is offered online.
- Online – Students take one 8-week course per term through our state-of-the-art online learning environment.
国产偷拍视频This Online degree program can be completed in 27 months.
Public Health Programs at The Chicago School:
- Master of Public Health, Public Policy Development & Advocacy Concentration – Online
- Master of Public Health, Mental Health & Behavioral Aspects of Public Health Concentration – Online
- Master of Public Health – Online
- M.A. in Psychology, Public Health Concentration – Online
- Dual Enrollment: Master of Health Services Administration and Master of Public Health – Online
What jobs can you get with a Master in Public Health?
The MPH is the doorway into the exploding public health and healthcare job market. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2014-15 Edition, the nation is projected to add 250,000 public health jobs and grow by 37% over the next five years.
Our graduates are prepared to deliver outstanding professional services, excel as community leaders with the skill-sets to respectfully engage as collaborative partners in multi-cultural and stakeholder-diverse local and international settings. These settings include:
Public and Private Sector Employers:
- Government & Public Sector
- National & International Nonprofits
- United Nations
- International Development Organizations
- Think Tanks
- Insurers & Other Payers
- Pharmaceutical, Biotech, and Medical Device Companies
- Hospitals & Community-Based Clinic
- Corporate Wellness Centers
- Accountable Care Organizations
- Public Policy & Advocacy Organizations
- Charitable Foundations
Public Health Job Titles:
- Public Health Officer
- Community Health Worker
- Public Health Research Analyst
- Patient Educator
- Social Worker
- Public Policy Advocate
- Private Health Consultant
- Healthcare Information Analyst
- Clinical Quality Specialist
- Hospital Supervisor/Administrator
- Wellness Manager
- Behavior Health Specialists
- Healthcare Services Coordinator
The MPH is a “degree with legs” and our program is uniquely designed to prepared graduates with the skills and experiences they need to thrive in the public health and healthcare world of today and tomorrow.